Welcome to the Astria Digital Library! We are a subscription service that provides our members with access to Ebooks, Journals, Bibliography and other audio-visual academic resources (“Astria Library content”) streamed over the Internet to certain Internet-connected computers and other devices (“The Astria Digital Library ready devices”).
You agree to the Arbitration Agreement and class action waiver described in Section 15 to resolve any disputes with Astria Learning (except for matters that may be taken to small claims court).
- The Astria Digital Library service is provided by Bordes LLC., or one of its affiliated companies.
- Privacy. Personally identifying information is subject to our Privacy Statement, the terms of which are incorporated herein. Please review our Privacy Statement to understand our practices.
- Communication Preferences. By using the Astria Digital Library service, you consent to receiving electronic communications from Astria Digital Library relating to your account. These communications may involve sending emails to your email address provided during registration, or posting communications on the Astria Digital Library service, or in the “Your Account” page and will include notices about your account (e.g., payment authorizations, change in password or Payment Method, confirmation e-mails and other transactional information) and are part of your relationship with the Astria Digital Library. You agree that any notices, agreements, disclosures or other communications that we send to you electronically will satisfy any legal communication requirements, including that such communications be in writing. You should maintain copies of electronic communications by printing a paper copy or saving an electronic copy. You also consent to receiving certain other communications from us, such as newsletters about new Astria Digital Library features and content, special offers, promotional announcements and customer surveys via email or other methods. If you no longer want to receive certain non-transactional communications, simply go to the “Communication settings” link on the “Your Account” page of our website (http://astrialibrary.com/my-account) to manage your Astria Digital Library communications. Please review our Privacy Statement (http://astrialibrary.com/privacy) for further detail on our marketing communications.
- Membership, Free Trials, Billing and Cancellation
- Ongoing Membership. Your Astria Digital Library membership, which may start with a free trial, will continue month-to-month or year-to-year and automatically renew unless and until you cancel your membership or we terminate it. You must have Internet access and provide us with a current, valid, accepted method of payment (as such may be updated from time to time, “Payment Method”) to use the Astria Digital Library service. We will bill the monthly or yearly membership fee to your Payment Method. You must cancel your membership before it renews each month or year in order to avoid billing of the next membership fees to your Payment Method.
- Free Trials
- Your Astria Digital Library membership may start with a free trial. The free trial period of your membership lasts for one month, or as otherwise specified during sign-up. For combinations with other offers, restrictions may apply. Free trials are for new and certain former members only. The Astria Digital Library reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to determine your free trial eligibility.
- We will begin billing your Payment Method for monthly membership fees at the end of the free trial period of your membership and your membership will automatically renew monthly unless you cancel prior to the end of the free trial period. To view the specific details of your membership, including monthly membership price and end date of your free trial period, visit our website and click the “View billing details” link on the “Your Account” page. We may authorize your Payment Method through various methods, including authorizing it up to approximately one month of service as soon as you register. In some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization during your free trial period.
- CLICK THE “YOUR ACCOUNT” LINK AT THE TOP OF ANY THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY WEB PAGE (http://astrialibrary.com) TO FIND CANCELLATION INSTRUCTIONS. We will continue to bill your Payment Method on a monthly or yearly basis for your membership fee until you cancel.
- Recurring Billing. By starting your The Astria Digital Library membership and providing or designating a Payment Method, you authorize us to charge you a monthly membership fee at the then current rate, and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of the The Astria Digital Library service, such as taxes or possible transaction fees, to your Payment Method. You acknowledge that the amount billed each month may vary from month to month for reasons that may include differing amounts due to promotional offers, including gift card redemption and promotional code redemption, and/or changing or adding a plan, and you authorize us to charge your Payment Method for such varying amounts, which may be billed monthly in one or more charges.
- No Refunds. PAYMENTS ARE NONREFUNDABLE AND THERE ARE NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR PARTIALLY USED PERIODS. Following any cancellation, however, you will continue to have access to the service through the end of your current billing period. At any time, and for any reason, we may provide a refund, discount, or other consideration to some or all of our members (“credits”). The amount and form of such credits, and the decision to provide them, are at our sole and absolute discretion. The provision of credits in one instance does not entitle you to credits in the future for similar instances, nor does it obligate us to provide credits in the future, under any circumstance.
- Payment Methods. You may edit your Payment Method information by visiting our website and clicking on the “Your Account” link, available at the top of the pages of the Astria Digital Library website. If a payment is not successfully settled, due to expiration, insufficient funds, or otherwise, and you do not edit your Payment Method information or cancel your account (see, “Cancellation” below), you remain responsible for any uncollected amounts and authorize us to continue billing the Payment Method, as it may be updated. This may result in a change to your payment billing dates. We may update your Payment Method with information provided by the applicable payment service provider, and you authorize us to continue to charge the membership fee to the updated Payment Method. For certain Payment Methods, the issuer of your Payment Method may charge you a foreign transaction fee or other charges. Check with your Payment Method service provider for details.
- Cancellation. You may cancel your Astria Digital Library membership at any time, and you will continue to have access to the Astria Digital Library service through the end of your monthly billing period. WE DO NOT PROVIDE REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR ANY PARTIAL-MONTH MEMBERSHIP PERIODS OR UNWATCHED THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY CONTENT. To cancel, go to the “Your Account” page on our website and follow the instructions for cancellation. If you cancel your membership, your account will automatically close at the end of your current billing period. To see when your account will close, click “View billing details” on the “Your Account” page. If you signed up for the Astria Digital Library using your account with a third party as a Payment Method, and wish to cancel your Astria Digital Library membership at any time, including during your free trial, you may need to do so through such third party, including by visiting your account with the applicable third party and turning off auto-renew, or unsubscribing from, the Astria Digital Library service through that third party. You may also find billing information about your Astria Digital Library membership by visiting your account with the applicable third party.
- The Astria Digital Library Service
- The Astria Digital Library service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only. During your The Astria Digital Library membership, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, license to access the Astria Digital Library service and view the Astria Digital Library content through the service. Except for the foregoing limited license, no right, title or interest shall be transferred to you. You agree not to use the service for public performances.
- You may access the Astria Digital Library content through the Astria Digital Library service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such the Astria Digital Library content. The content that may be available to read will vary by geographic location. The Astria Digital Library will use technologies to verify your geographic location. THE NUMBER OF DEVICES ON WHICH YOU MAY SIMULTANEOUSLY READ IS LIMITED. The number of devices available for use and the simultaneous read may change from time to time at our discretion.
- We continually update the Astria Digital Library service, including the content library. In addition, we continually test various aspects of our service, including our website, user interfaces, service levels, plans, promotional features, availability of the Astria Digital Library content, delivery and pricing. We reserve the right to, and by using our service you agree that we may, include you in or exclude you from these tests without notice. We reserve the right in our sole and absolute discretion to make changes from time to time and without notice in how we offer and operate our service.
- Some Astria Digital Library content is available for temporary download and offline viewing on certain supported devices (“Offline Titles”). Limitations apply, including restrictions on the number of Offline Titles per account, the maximum number of devices that can contain Offline Titles, the time period within which you will need to begin viewing Offline Titles and how long the Offline Titles will remain accessible. Some Offline Titles may not be playable in certain countries and if you go online in a country where you would not be able to stream that Offline Title, the Offline Title will not be playable while you are in that country.
- The availability of the Astria Digital Library content to read will change from time to time, and from country to country. The quality of the display of the Astria Digital Library content may vary from device to device, and may be affected by a variety of factors, such as your location, the bandwidth available through and/or speed of your Internet connection. Larger books are subject to your Internet service and device capabilities.
- The Astria Digital Library software is developed by, or for, The Astria Digital Library and is designed to enable streaming and viewing of content from The Astria Digital Library through The Astria Digital Library ready devices. This software may vary by device and medium, and functionalities may also differ between devices. BY USING OUR SERVICE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE TO THE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (www.astrialibrary/EULA) AND TO RECEIVE, WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE OR PROMPTING, UPDATED VERSIONS OF THE THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY AND RELATED THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE FOREGOING TERMS, DO NOT USE OUR SERVICE. WE DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OR OTHERWISE WARRANT THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE DEVICES, INCLUDING THE CONTINUING COMPATIBILITY OF THE DEVICE WITH OUR SERVICE. By using our service, you agree to look solely to the entity that manufactured and/or sold you the device for any issues related to the device and its compatibility with the The Astria Digital Library service. If your The Astria Digital Library ready device is sold, lost or stolen, please deactivate the The Astria Digital Library ready device. If you fail to log out or deactivate your device, subsequent users may access the The Astria Digital Library service through your account and may be able to access certain of your account information.
- Passwords and Account Access
- The member who created the Astria Digital Library account and whose Payment Method is charged is referred to here as the Account Owner. The Account Owner has access and control over the Astria Digital Library account. The Account Owner’s control is exercised through use of the Account Owner’s password and therefore to maintain exclusive control, the Account Owner should not reveal the password to anyone. In addition, if the Account Owner wishes to prohibit others from contacting The Astria Digital Library Customer Service and potentially altering the Account Owner’s control, the Account Owner should not reveal the Payment Method details (e.g., last four digits of their credit or debit card, or their email address if they use PayPal) associated with their account. You are responsible for updating and maintaining the truth and accuracy of the information you provide to us relating to your account.
- In order to provide you with ease of access to your account and to help administer the Astria Digital Library service, The Astria Digital Library implements technology that enables us to recognize you as the Account Owner and provide you with direct access to your account without requiring you to retype any password or other user identification when you revisit the Astria Digital Library service, which includes accessing via The Astria Digital Library ready devices or website.
- You should be mindful of any communication requesting that you submit credit card or other account information. Providing your information in response to these types of communications can result in identity theft. Always access your sensitive account information by going directly to the Astria Digital Library website and not through a hyperlink in an email or any other electronic communication, even if it looks official. The Astria Digital Library reserves the right to place any account on hold anytime with or without notification to the member in order to protect itself and its partners from what it believes to be fraudulent activity. The Astria Digital Library is not obligated to credit or discount a membership for holds placed on the account by either a representative of The Astria Digital Library or by the automated processes of The Astria Digital Library.
- Disclaimers of Warranties and Limitations on Liability
- THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY SERVICE AND ALL CONTENT AND SOFTWARE ASSOCIATED THEREWITH, OR ANY OTHER FEATURES OR FUNCTIONALITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY SERVICE, ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY DOES NOT GUARANTEE, REPRESENT, OR WARRANT THAT YOUR USE OF THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR THE USE OF APPLICATIONS, THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY READY DEVICES, AND THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY SOFTWARE (INCLUDING THEIR CONTINUING COMPATIBILITY WITH OUR SERVICE).
- TO THE EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAWS, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY, OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES OR ANY OF THEIR SHAREHOLDERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE (JOINTLY OR SEVERALLY) TO YOU FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER.
- SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DAMAGES. THEREFORE, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- Gifts and Promotions. Gift cards for the The Astria Digital Library service may be available for purchase at third-party retail outlets and websites, which can be redeemed on our website at www.astrialibrary.com/redeem. Promotional codes may be redeemed as described in the specifics of the promotion. Gift cards and promotional codes can only be used once, cannot be redeemed for cash, and may be combined with other offers, including a free trial, subject to certain restrictions as determined by The Astria Digital Library in its sole discretion. If you received a promotional code through an offer by a third party, additional conditions may apply.
- Intellectual Property
- Copyright. The Astria Digital Library service, including all content provided on the The Astria Digital Library service, is protected by copyright, trade secret or other intellectual property laws and treaties.
- Trademarks. The Astria Digital Library is a registered trademark of Astria Learning.
- Patents. The Astria Digital Library has patents that apply to our service.
- Claims of Copyright Infringement. If you believe your work has been reproduced or distributed in a way that constitutes a copyright infringement or are aware of any infringing material available through the Astria Digital Library service, please notify us by email at email@example.com
- Applications. You may encounter third-party applications (including, without limitation, websites, widgets, software, or other software utilities) (“Application(s)”) that interact with the The Astria Digital Library service. These Applications may import data related to your The Astria Digital Library account and activity and otherwise gather data from you. These Applications are provided solely as a convenience to you, and The Astria Digital Library is not responsible for such Applications. SUCH APPLICATIONS ARE OWNED OR OPERATED BY THIRD PARTIES THAT ARE NOT RELATED TO WITH OR SPONSORED BY THE ASTRIA DIGITAL LIBRARY AND MAY NOT BE AUTHORIZED FOR USE WITH OUR SERVICE IN ALL COUNTRIES. USE OF AN APPLICATION IS AT YOUR OWN OPTION AND RISK.
- Use of Information Submitted. The Astria Digital Library is free to use any comments, information, ideas, concepts, reviews, or techniques or any other material contained in any communication you may send to us (“Feedback”), including responses to questionnaires or through postings to the Astria Digital Library service, including the Astria Digital Library website and user interfaces, worldwide and in perpetuity without further compensation, acknowledgement or payment to you for any purpose whatsoever including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products and creating, modifying or improving the Astria Digital Library service. In addition, you agree not to enforce any “moral rights” in and to the Feedback, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Please note The Astria Digital Library does not accept unsolicited materials or ideas for The Astria Digital Library content, and is not responsible for the similarity of any of its content or programming in any media to materials or ideas transmitted to The Astria Digital Library. Should you send any unsolicited materials or ideas, you do so with the understanding that no additional consideration of any sort will be provided to you, and you are waiving any claim against The Astria Digital Library and its affiliates regarding the use of such materials and ideas, even if material or an idea is used that is substantially similar to the material or idea you sent.
- Arbitration Agreement
- If you elect to seek arbitration or file a small claim court action, you must first send to The Astria Digital Library, by certified mail, a written Notice of your claim (“Notice”). The Notice to The Astria Digital Library must be addressed to: General Counsel, Astria Learning, 5701 E. Hillsborough ave. Suite 2453, Tampa, FL 33610 (“Notice Address”). If Astria Learning initiates arbitration, it will send a written Notice to the email address used for your membership account. A Notice, whether sent by you or by The Astria Digital Library, must (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought (“Demand”). If Astria Learning and you do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within 30 days after the Notice is received, you or The Astria Digital Library may commence an arbitration proceeding or file a claim in small claims court.
- The arbitration will be governed by the Commercial Arbitration Rules (the “AAA Rules”) of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), as modified by this Agreement, and will be administered by the AAA. The AAA Rules and Forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879, or by writing to the Notice Address. The arbitrator is bound by the terms of this Agreement. All issues are for the arbitrator to decide, including issues relating to the scope and enforceability of this arbitration agreement. Unless Astria Learning and you agree otherwise, any arbitration hearings will take place in the county (or parish) of your residence.
- If your claim is for US$10,000 or less, we agree that you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator, through a telephonic hearing, or by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules. If your claim exceeds US$10,000, the right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator shall issue a reasoned written decision explaining the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based. If the arbitrator issues you an award that is greater than the value of The Astria Digital Library’s last written settlement offer made before an arbitrator was selected (or if The Astria Digital Library did not make a settlement offer before an arbitrator was selected), then The Astria Digital Library will pay you the amount of the award or US$5,000, whichever is greater. Except as expressly set forth herein, the payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA Rules.
- YOU AND ASTRIA LEARNING AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, unless both you and The Astria Digital Library agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims with your claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding. If this specific provision is found to be unenforceable, then the entirety of this arbitration provision shall be null and void. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by that party’s individual claim.
Last updated: 04/27/2018